I love making and eating homemade chocolate truffles. Until recently I have had to switch to a Gluten-free, Dairy-free diet and finding some of my favourite recipes using substitutes has been a bit difficult.
This is a great recipe from “The Yum Blog” , please check it out here:
Vegan Chocolate Truffles
- Chocolate chips (Bitter or semisweet Dairy free) – 250 gms or approx 8 oz, (the better the chocolate quality the better the truffles)
- Coconut Milk (thick, should be the consistency of fresh heavy cream) – 125 ml or approx 1/2 cup
- Flavouring of choice – 2 tbsp
- Toasted Nuts or Cocoa powder – 1/2 cup
- Chop the Chocolate into small pieces or grate well. Roughly chop the toasted nuts.
- Bring the Coconut Milk to a boil in a heavy bottom saucepan or MW on high for 11/2 to 2 minutes. The milk should bubble.
- Take the milk off flame or remove from microwave and add chopped chocolate pieces. Whisk well until the mixture (called ganache) is silky, smooth and shiny.
- Add the flavourings and mix well.
- Chill the mixture in the freezer for 3 hours till it is well set. Using a melon baller or a spoon scoop a portion after the 2nd hour to see if the mixture is set. A well set mixture is easy to scoop, shape and is not very sticky.
- Line a tray or flat vessel with parchment or wax paper. Keep a flat bowl with outer covering (nuts or cocoa) ready.
- Take out the mixture from the freezer. Scoop out a small portion and shape into a round ball using the tips of your fingers.
- Make 5 to 6 such ball os approx 1 inch diameter, put into the bowl with toasted nuts/ cocoa and shake to coat all over. Transfer to the tray. Repeat for rest of the ganache.
- Freeze truffles for an hour until set.